Saturday, February 9, 2008

Farmers' Market


KCC Farmers' Market opens Saturdays at 7:30 (with a gong!) and I was told to get there by 7. Made it by 8, and saw why--parking! The entry promised rows of goodies, and yes, there were LOTS of flowers, here only two stalls' worth. Cooked food of all kinds, local drinks, fruits, vegetables, bread, coffee, plate lunches, fried green tomatoes--row upon row of goodies! People meandering, on Island time, and long lines at the two vegetable stalls. 100% Kona coffee sells out in the first 15 minutes! The curly leaf lettuce was already gone at 8:30! Almost got bitter melon, but held off, maybe next week.

Drummers and Lion Dancers, a white-maned one and a black-maned one, with people sticking dollar bills into their mouths for luck in the New Year of the Rat. Of course I got a cup of coffee, Molokai, said to be as good as Kona, from the same sort of red berry, but I am going to stick with Kona (luckily I found 100% Kona coffee at Long's later in the afternoon, and at half the price--but who knows about the real value). At my choice of food stalls, I got the Egyptian Chicken Vegetable Curry plate lunch for a couple meals. May get several different dishes next time as the person next to me was doing--food through Monday! The market's bounty: got Ho'omaluhia honey after tasting 3 types; Ho'omaluhia is from banana blossom, java plum and coconut! Perfect with Country Olive bread.
Basil, mint, chives, edamame, fruits and veggies, fresh from gardens, a treat! The sweet lemons are as big as a tangerine and have green peel. Yum yum.

1 comment:

Badaunt said...

Stop it! You're making me hungry, and I already had dinner!