Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chinatown

After yoga at the Community Center ended at noon, I decided to give Chinatown a whirl. One wrong turn = learning a LOT about Honolulu streets, but made it to Chinatown and went to the Vietnamese Pho 97 in the historic Mendonca building. This is a photo blog about a different Pho 97, but the owners and dishes are the same. I got the beef rib-eye steak noodles described in the blog (seen in my own photo here), except the meat (red, just put in) was already in the bowl. My plate of bean sprouts, basil and chilies were just like in the blog you can click to. It was so good,even the bean sprouts were like nothing I've ever had and the soup was divine. Decided against pastries, but did get rambutan (like lychees).

Passed Indigo and Tea at 1024 that I saw in today's paper (photos at their site), but just kept going today. It gets really hot in the middle of day now, even though the nights are cold and early mornings call for a long-sleeved shirt plus a sweatshirt. So, today, just the heart of Chinatown, which is only a few blocks square and a real treat. Well, the rambutan should be cold enough for a delicious bedtime snack. . . .

No comments: