Monday, March 3, 2008

Pacing Myself

I've had to give in and pace myself, take breaks and rest more. Maybe my Alaska-acclimated blood is still too thick for the heat here, or . . . . but I'll just have to save parasailing and hula lessons for the next time (though I've had two offers of places to stay if I want to extend my time here).

So Monday morning yoga under the palm trees (today photographed by a Japanese promotion team for ads back there!) while Pihalani practiced her yoga stretches at home (her left arm was straight up but she moved when I took the picture), then a walk into central Waikiki to International Market which is the only place on the island that sells fanny packs (the zipper broke on the one I brought), and just a half hour relaxing on the beach. On the way back to Sans Souci along the ocean I saw a man in a thong bathing suit -- the front just a strip of cloth from low-riser elastic (Amazon has a lot of samples...) -- and I turned for the back view and a charming, handsome guy walking his bike next to me struck up a conversation, "You don't see that very often, huh." I told him I was sorry not to have my camera for my blog and he gave me some great blog quotes to use (if I'd gotten a picture, that is).

Then off to Ono Hawaiian Foods, since this is about the last time I'll be able to work this in. Fuzzy photo of interior, walls plastered with photos of the famous who've been there (I recognized Lily Tomlin). The nice man asked if I wanted fresh or day-old poi (??!); day-old is tarter and more sour, and I chose that. He gave me some fresh to compare--hard choice. I got the combination of course (chicken lau lau), to try everything. Since "ono" means "delicious" in Hawaiian, no wonder it was fabulous. What I hadn't known is that everything is dipped in the poi; I used to just eat the poi straight. The cooked taro leaves were the best I've had, and the haupia melt-in-your-mouth.

No comments: