Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mysterious Paris

Cara Black is a Californian who writes dense mysteries set in Paris I learned from a blog I read. The small, wonderful local library here had three of the eight she's written and they follow a pattern. Featuring out-of-the-limelight political issues (Corsica, Vietnam, Turkey, etc.) and a different arrondissement (Paris' 20 wards) each time, these are intense, action-packed and human-relationship-intense stories. Most are Right Bank, my only disappointment, being a Left Bank girl at heart. They last roughly a week, the first chapter being, say, "Tuesday Afternoon" and the last "Saturday Morning." The shadowy black-and-white covers give the atmosphere (a long way from Paris Hangover!). So on a trip into Borders bookshop today, I treated myself to just-published #8 and will force myself to save it for the plane back to Alaska, even though "only a dip" has taken me to p. 35. And for background music while reading Black, the soundtrack from La Vie en Rose or anything by Ali Farka Toure works.

2 comments:

. said...

Ali Farka Toure hits the spot, doesn't he? I only have Talking Timbuktu and In the Heart of the Moon. The latter has an extra special place in my chill playlist. If you don't have it, do yourself a favour. The dueling between Ali and Toumani Diabete is just amazing.

Kay said...

Well, PowerSamurai, I do have it, from you in the mix you sent a year or more ago--Jhelisa, Benny Anderssons, et al! And I love AFT!